Re: WinNT => FreeBSD cross compiler (CygWin compiled): is that possible?

Vsevolod Buzinov wrote:

> William A. Gatliff wrote:
>
> > Which crossgcc faq?  A more recent one is at http://billgatliff.com.
> > Maybe that'll help...
>
> Thanks, now I think I understand what the problem was.
> I didn't make a bootstrap gcc first, but tried to compile it full.

 You doesn't need any 'bootstrap' GCC, but the 'full' one from the beginning...

> And I also suppose I must compile newlib instead of glibc since the latter is
> only applicable for linux, right?

 Wrong, and right, FreeBSD has its own 'BSD-like' headers and libraries, which
one receives as prebuilt with a FreeBSD-distribution. Of course the FreeBSD C-
library sources are also available, but there should be some sane reason for the
recompile, like after fixing many bugs in the C-library. Of course the rebuild
of the C-library can be a good test for the cross-compiler, but testing the C-
library after the rebuild may be quite time-consuming. So taking the prebuilt
libs from a suitable FreeBSD-distribution of from the target FreeBSD-machine is
much easier. The FreeBSD-distribution may not be newer than the one used in the
target system... Them being just the same is the ideal case, but backward-
compatability should work and using '4.[1-3]' stuff in the toolchain should say
that the produced binaries will run on the current 'FreeBSD 4.4' or something...

 You haven't mentioned the target FreeBSD-version... Some years ago also FreeBSD
started to use ELF and the target name is now 'i586-freebsdelf' or something, not
'i586-freebsd', which means the older 'aout'-based FreeBSD before the version 3.0
which was ELF-based...

Cheers, Kai