HAndling Syscalls

Hi all,

I am a newbie to compilers and linux.
And I have some doubts about how compilers handle syscalls. It will be
appreciated if you can throw some light on it.

I have got a crosscompiler built for AE32000. I need to figure out how
this compiler works. How is the stack space (user, instruction,system),
data segment, code segment allocated etc and finally how syscalls are
handled.

Any clues or links are acknowledged.

Thanks,
savi