AW: --host=i386-pc-mingw32 --target=powerpc--eabi, mingw32 libraries?

Hi everyone,

I try to implement a cross-compiler for embedded development on PowerPC
(MPC8xx), hosted in Windows.

I started with the mingw/msys packages as the host environment:

The file mingw-1.0.1-20010726.tar.gz downloaded from
http://www.mingw.org/.
The file MSYS-1.0.8-i386-2002.06.25-1.exe has been downloaded from
http://www.mingw.org/.

Then, I did build the binutils:
The file binutils-2.11.2.tar.gz has been downloaded.
$ /srcdir/configure --host=i386-pc-mingw32 --build=i386-pc-mingw32
--target=powerpc--eabi
$ make

So far so good (except that I had to change \r\n end-of-lines to \n (in
*.sed files) because GNU sed in msys complained otherwise), I've got an
assembler with the powerpc instruction set and and a linker handling the
elf format (and other binutils executable as well).

Now, let's move on to the GCC:

The file gcc-3.1.tar.gz has been downloaded from http://gcc.gnu.org.
$ /srcdir/configure --with-cpu=powerpc --host=i386-pc-mingw32
--build=i386-pc-mingw32 --target=powerpc--eabi
$ make

(actually, the /srcdir for binutils and gcc packages were different)

Compile-time errors came up from calls to mkdir(), kill(), pipe(), and
fork() (in some source files of the compiler). I guess these functions
must be somewhere in the many lib*.a files included in the mingw32
distribution, but I don't see them properly declared in an include file.
Yet their declaration exist in a SYSCALLS.c.X file.

It thus appears that the compiler package uses a broader set of O/S
features (handling forked processes) which were not needed with the
bunituls.

Question 1) Does someone knows about mingw32 library contents reference
material? (include files vs library contents, and perhaps documentation)

Question 2) How do I guide the configure and make process to the include
files specific to the host environment, and then to the corresponding
library files?

That's my problem of the day; other ones may pop up when the target
run-time library will have to be compiled.

Thanks in advance ...

- Thierry Moreau

CONNOTECH Experts-conseils inc.
9130 Place de Montgolfier