host=cygwin target=hppa2.0w-hp-hpux11.00 ?

I am trying to build a cross compiling gcc (3.0.1) on cygwin (1.3.12) for a
HPUX target, specifically hppa2.0w-hp-hpux11.00
When I try to build the binutils (2.13) package it fails with the"undefined
reference to 'som_vec'" error mentioned elsewhere on this list.

Can anyone confirm that it currently is or is not possible to do this with
this or any other version of gcc/binutils.
I'm assuming that I have to build binutils for the target before trying to
build gcc.

Getting to a point where we can compile on cygwin and link on hpux would be
an acceptable half-way house.
The object of this excercise is to reduce the load on the hpux box by
migrating some of the work to the developers workstations.

Any and all help appreciated.

Michael.