Re: building for cygwin (nearly there)

Bruce Adams wrote, in reply to a message from Werner Tuchan:

> > I've seen an incompatible stdlib.h causing these errors. It's possibly a
> > leftover from the first pass with the --without-headers switch. You can
> > delete the $PREFIX directory and all files from the gcc build directory.
> > Then run 'make install' on binutils and newlib and configure and build
> > gcc for the second pass.
> >
> I just tried that as suggested.  Unfortunately it didn't fix the problem.
> Could the reason be the same reason (what is it?) that cygwin itself
> still only uses gcc 2.95.3-5 ?
>                                 Regards,
>                                          Bruce A.

I did follow Mr. Truchan piece of advice, and it DID solve the very same syntax
error problem that occurred to me in building gcc-3.2 with a first pass (to
build newlib) and then a second pass.

I indeed checked the files that were created in the $PREFIX directory at each
stage, in order to verify Mr. Truchan's explanation and it makes sense.

For illustration purposes, the former procedure was

1) configure and "make all install" binutils

2) configure and "make all-gcc install-gcc" (--without-headers --with-newlib)

3) configure and "make all install" newlib

4) configure and "make all-gcc install-gcc" (--with-newlib)

So, the procedure now looks as follows:

1) configure and "make all install" binutils

2) configure and "make all-gcc install-gcc" (--without-headers --with-newlib)

3.1) configure and "make all" newlib

3.2) rm -r * in the $PREFIX directory

3.3) "make install" newlib

1.replay) configure and "make all install" binutils

4) configure and "make all-gcc install-gcc" (--with-newlib)

As I am writing this, my i586 125MHz is busy compiling step 4, a long way past
where the syntax error occurred. Unless you ear again from me, you may assume
that this problem is solved.

P.S. This difficulty seems unrelated to cigwin. If we had a way to merge the
newlib sources so that the step 2 above could leave out the --without-headers,
building a cross-compiler for gcc 3.2 might be easier.

--

- Thierry Moreau

CONNOTECH Experts-conseils inc.
9130 Place de Montgolfier