Re: ARM Cross-Assembler

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 05:41:25PM +0000, Bahadir Balban wrote:

> > There is one thing you cannot do: using assembly written for
> > ADS with Gnu as, as they have different directive syntax. It
> > is the general opinion of everybody on this list that it
> > should be feasible (and not very hard) to translate from one
> > to the other, but I don't know that anyone actually did it.

> Sorry, I think I could have explained it better. I will give an
> example, the code below is written with and can be read by ADS.
> There are things like AREA, EXPORT or labels, aliases such as
> ULCON etc. that don't belong to the instruction set. Can GNU
> assembler read these, or instructions only?

As has already been explained: gas has it's own set of
directives that are different from those used by the ADS
assembler.  The translation can be done in a largely mechanical
way.  I've got a friend who uses sed and some cpp macros so
that he can assemble a single source file using either
GreenHills or Gnu.  I assume something similar could be done
with ADS.

> I had an assembly file written in this manner, and using GNU as
> (arm-elf-as) I got errors like, "error: bad instruction ULCON
> EQU 0". Maybe I am not using GAS the right way?

Assembler directives like EQU will need to be translated.  Read
the "Pseudo Ops" section of the gas manual.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com