Re: more about the external target headers/libraries issue

Dan:

> ?  Not sure what you're talking about there.  All I said was
> that Gnu should have a build script that knows how to build
> a complete working toolchain given the gcc, binutils, and glibc
> source tarballs.  That doesn't preclude anyone from maintaining
> a build script that builds a complete working toolchain from,
> say, gcc, binutils, and dietlibc... and it doesn't mean that
> gnu should release gcc only as a bundle with glibc.

Nonono.  That ties gcc even more closely to yet another project, and
we've got too much of that already...

I think it's just a problem of tuning the gcc build process so that it
stops before it needs those headers, but _after_ enough of the
compiler is built that it can compile headerless code.  Then it's up
to newlib and glibc to make sure _they_ can build using their own
headers (which I think we're at already).

The logic in my head goes something like this.

As I see it, the gcc-3.x libgcc2 has merely gotten polluted with some
header-requiring constructs, where the 2.95.x libgcc2 was relatively
header-free.  The 3.x "bootstrap" build target, all-gcc, won't finish
until it has built libgcc2.  It can't build libgcc2 in a bootstrap,
because it has no header files.  But I can't build headers for it
because the gcc bootstrap build process refuses to give me a compiler
until it has a libgcc2.

The thing is, I don't _need_ libgcc2 to build libraries.  At all.

What I'm looking at is somehow removing the libgcc2 dependency from
the all-gcc target, so that the build process will install xgcc and I
can get on with building those header files that libgcc2 needs.

b.g.
--
Bill Gatliff
Embedded GNU development and training services.