Re: Anyone cross-bootstrap a GCC compiler onto a linux board?

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 11:06:26AM -0400, Peter Barada wrote:
> To do this I'd need a ppc-linux toolchain that:
>
> 1) Runs on the x86 box
> 2) Doesn't have any prefix (ppc-linux-)

Why is that? I think it should be just the normal
cross-compiler you already use, with which you'd
cross-compile a native ppc-linux gcc (no hyphen: it's a
ppc-linux binary which is called 'gcc' :) ):

ppc-linux-gcc -> gcc
(the later one being a ppc-linux native of course).

> 3) Is installed somewhere else than the system directory
> 4) Can be used to compile a kernel and a small set of utilities(that
>    expect to find their libraris in the 'usual' places).

Same thing here, I don't see why the requirements to compile
gcc should be any different than those to compile any other
application?

> Has anyone done(or even tried) this before?

Most probably, otherwise noone would have a native compiler :-)

> Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way for me to proceed?

I have a vague recollection of trying to cross-compile a
native  arm-linux gcc, and failing miserably. However,
native compiling is indeed a much, much easier option when
available. What we ended up doing here was just using a
distribution: download Debian's debootstrap, install a
Debian, configure the network, and go:
apt-get install gcc
And voilà, you have a working native development system.

This also has its problems: we normally run busybox/uClibc,
and then chroot in that Debian. Ideally, we'd want a
uClibc-based Debian... but I don't think that exists. Maybe
that's where "compile-everything" distributions like Gentoo
would come in handy, but we haven't had time to look into
that yet.

Cheers,
Y.