Re: Comparing Bill and Karim's cross-compile scripts. Updating Bill's to gcc 3.2.3.

On Sat, May 17, 2003 at 01:17:26PM -0400, Karim Yaghmour wrote:
> Lately, though, I was thinking about making a list of all available
> scripts, and I came up with this (which, of course, includes Bill's
> script):
> http://www.embeddedtux.org/pipermail/etux/2003-May/000018.html

Great! When I searched for build systems some time ago I found buildroot
to be the most easy to understand one, so I designed PTXdist almost
identical to Erik's make files (in fact, I've asked him if he wanted my
kconfig frontend for buildroot, but he didn't). Nevertheless, it is
still very easy to migrate buildroot scripts over to PTXdist.

I would really like to see support for more toolchains in the project
(at the moment we have ARM, x86 and soon powerpc). It's small makefiles
make it very easy to review what is done to build a packet...

Regarding the glibc --prefix: I always had problems configuring it
correctly, because if I used the path on the development host it is
hardcoded into ld-linux.so :-(, so at the moment I build glibc twice,
once with --prefix=$(PTXCONF_PREFIX)/$(PTXCONF_GNU_TARGET) and once with
--prefix= , the first one for "make install", the second one for a
correct path in ld-linux.so. Needless to say that this needs _quite_ a
lot of time and I would be happy to get rid of it.

> > 388: Karim fixes up paths in ld.so, but Bill doesn't.
> > Need to remove absolute paths from the ld.so in ${TARGET_PREFIX)/lib;
> > maybe Bill just forgot to mention that?

Hmm, it looks like I need to have a deeper look at your stuff :)

> > And of course, Karim's already got an addendum on how to get this
> > stuff to work with gcc3.2.3.  Also, Bill has detailed fixups for
> > specific problems with various platforms, whereas Karim only
> > covers one architecture.

Unfortunately there are still rumors around on arm-linux-kernel that
3.2.x is broken for ARM.

> As I point out in the above archived mail, I'm not personally a fan of
> automated scripts, but I understand some people prefer using them.

I see my Makefiles more as a recipe which shows how to make that stuff.
The long term I would be _much_ happier if we had ready-to-use debian
packages for the crosschains. Nevertheless, PTXdist naturally works on
_all_ distributions.

I would really love to see more people using it and getting more
patches...

Robert
   Braunschweiger Str. 79,  31134 Hildesheim, Germany
    Phone: +49-5121-28619-0 |  Fax: +49-5121-28619-4