Re: Building a cross-toolchain from scratch

>So that's why I wonder, why is it so hard? Why is it designed in such a way to
>have to build parts of the C library to finish building the compiler, and then
>build the rest of the lib? Newlib claims it's for embedded targets, is building
>/ using it any easier then glibc? Is glibc and newlib just not architected well
>enough to provide simple builds?
>
>There has to be easier ways to do this....

Newlib is used for running applications on raw iron, glibc is used for
running applications on a linux system.  When we build for newlib
libgcc doesn't need as many headers since it doesn't do signal
exception handling, so we don't need the signal context headers, etc.

Actually the problem arises when we have libgcc which is built as part
of the bootstrap process for glibc that requires some header files for
exception processing.  Unfortunately the header files haven't been
created yet since we need the bootstrap to build glibc.  Dan Kegal has
been working on figuring out how to get th header files available to
build the bootstrap, and I've been trying some experiments on trying
to suppress libgcc construction in the bootstrap phase.

Hopefully we can find a method that works for *all* the targets,
newlib and glibc.

--
Peter Barada                             Peter.Barada@motorola.com
Wizard                                   781-852-2768 (direct)