Re: arm-elf-gcc and objdump

Hello Aaron,

I'd say it is normal:
1. I have the same behaviour (which is REALLY not a good reason in fact :)
2. If you check the binutils manual (http://sources.redhat.com/binutils/docs-2.12/binutils.info/index.html), you'll see it is only implemented for some debugging information.
Here is the relevant section:
-G
--debugging
Display debugging information. This attempts to parse debugging information stored in the file and print it out using a C like syntax. Only certain types of debugging information have been implemented.

You should see how your gcc is configured to look at which debug symbols it produces by default.
The -g switch may work with stabs symbols, I have not tried that.

Concordantly, is it normal for the files to be different with or without debug info. These information are used by debuggers. Looking at them "as is" does not seems to have much interest, IMO.

Regards,

Vincent

aaron.case@dynazign.com wrote:

Hello,

I am having trouble with a simple debugging switch in arm-elf-gcc.

I include the -g switch in the make file compiler flags like such:

CFLAGS
= -g -Wall -I$(PKG_INSTALL_DIR)/include -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections

I get the following output, which shows it took the -g switch, when I build
the project files for an application called "basic_lcd::

$ make
arm-elf-gcc -c -o
basic_lcd.o -g -Wall -I/ecos-c/ECOS_db/ecos_min_v2_install/inc
lude -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections basic_lcd.c

Yet when I run the arm-elf-objdump binary utility I get the following
output:

$ arm-elf-objdump -g basic_lcd

basic_lcd: file format elf32-littlearm

arm-elf-objdump: basic_lcd: no recognized debugging information

In addition I can see a size difference in the files when compiled with and
without the -g switch for debugging.

I can see that the debugging switch is adding information to the file, yet
the extra information is not recognized as debugging information.

If anyone has any experience with this, thanks in advance for your hints and
help.

Regards,
Aaron Case