Re: crosscompiler tool chain from i386-linux to powerpc-apple andothers

Ricardo Scachetti Pereira wrote:
Dan's crosstool is really great :)) With it I have already generated binaries of my app for sparc-linux.
Since it is so easy to build the cross compilers for those various linux targets, I will add most of then to my list of targets.

Excellent! Beware, though: I have only run and passed the regression tests for ppc750 and ppc405. I have not yet tested sparc-linux (though I do have an old Sparcstation earmarked for the purpose someday). You will need to *test* your binaries on the target platforms, I'm afraid.

The only problem I found was when the crosstool tried to download the source tarbals from ftp.gnu.org. This server seems not to be very responsive lately. So I had to download the tarbal myself from a mirror and restart the whole process for each missing tarbal. Later on I changed the ftp server on the scripts. I had no problems with the other ftp sites at all.

What OS are you building on? I've heard reports that red hat 9's wget can't fetch from ftp.gnu.org. If that's what's going on, does adding --passive-ftp to the wget commandline help?

My suggestion would be to either to add some logic to support different mirrors for each ftp site, or to hardcode a different the ftp site or to define a variable for the site that you can change easily at the beggining.

Well, you can always edit getandpatch.sh... I could add a variable for ftp://ftp.gnu.org and http://www.kernel.org pretty easily, though, so I guess I will.

Anyway, the tool is absolutely great and works seamlessly. Congratulations for the good work, guys :)

You're welcome! Be sure to let us know if you run into any problems.

Now I will try my luck with the other OSes. Thanks for the advice on that, too.

I should mention that crosstool builds an entire linux toolchain from scratch. It could be adapted to do the same thing and target other free OS's, though you'd need to add support for building their C library. With proprietary OS's, you can't do this, as the sources aren't available, and there is no other option than grabbing part of the toolchain (the include files and libraries) from the target. That's the easy way out with the other free OS's, too, much easier than building the whole toolchain. - Dan

--
Dan Kegel
http://www.kegel.com