Re: Avoid running ./configure every time?

On Tuesday 19 August 2003 18:51, Peter Barada wrote:

> >My problem is that step (2) takes a significant amount of time. My project
> > is split into several sub-projects, each with its own build system. That
> > means that I have to run "./configure" for each sub-project and then
> > re-build everything. I was wondering:
> >
> >Is there a way I can have two sets of Makefiles prepared, by running
> >"./configure" with different options twice (once for the native version
> > and once for the cross-compile version) and to switch between then
> > quickly?
>
> Why not use seperate source an two object directories.  That way you could
> have two object directories configured with different options, and then
> just 'make' (as long as you haven't changed anything that requires a
> reconfigure).

Well, I do use --prefix to specify different target directories for
libraries/executables, but the .o files need to removed/rebuilt. If I have 2
source directories, I need to copy changes among them (as far as I understand
I will have two copies of the source code). Is this the suggestion? i.e.:

- Keep sources in 2 directories: x86 and arm
- Edit contents of x86
- Sync arm sources every time needed and compile

Have I understood correctly?

--
.liaj ot og -- ACMD eht detaloiv evah uoy ,ecnetnes siht no noitpyrcne eht
gnikaerb yB

To err is human, but to forgive is beyond the scope of the Operating System...

Alexandros Karypidis
University of Thessaly
Computer & Communications Engineering dept.