Output ecoff binary using alpha cross compiler

Hi,

I cross-compiled an alpha gcc toolchain using Dan's script. I am using
gcc3.2.3 + glibc2.2.5. Later, I found the compiler outputs binary in
elf64-alpha format. But I want the binary in ecoff format. I checked the
cross compiler, it seems it supports ecoff-littlealpha format too. I tried
to pass option "--oformat ecoff-littlealpha" to the compiler, and got
enumorous errors, something like "relocation truncated to fit ...". I
think the cross compiler can only work for the default target, which is
elf64-alpha. I tried other elf targets, there will be a segmentation fault
in ld.

I guess the problem is that when compiling glibc, the compiler has
elf64-alpha in its mind? That means the objects files are dependent on the
targets? So when the linker tries to mix elf object files and ecoff
object files, it fails. C source file is obviously independent on whether
it will be an ecoff binary or an elf binary. I am curious about from which
phase the intermediate file begins to depend on the target...

Any advice on how to ask the alpha cross compiler to produce correct ecoff
binary?

Thanks!

Tao
			-Tao Zhang (zhangtao@cc.gatech.edu)