Re: Output ecoff binary using alpha cross compiler

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, Dan Kegel wrote:

> Tao Zhang wrote:
> > Having a separate toolchain for alpha-linuxecoff is definitely enough for
> > me, the thing is it may be difficult to get one. The reason I need ecoff
> > format is that I want to generate some binary to feed into a
> > cycle-accurate alpha simulator. The simulator was initiated a long time
> > ago, so it only accepts ecoff binaries. Maybe a cheaper way is to supply
> > an elf loader to the simulator. I will try to do that.
>
> Oh, you're using a simulator?  Any chance you can use newlib instead
> of glibc?  I wouldn't know, but that seems to be popular with
> those who target simulators.
> - Dan

Yes, I believe newlib is much simpler than glibc. But for those
simulators, they can always choose a subset of system calls to support. I
think newlib and glibc have different calling conventions? For example,
parameter passing etc. So it will not an easy task to change the simulator
to use newlib instead.

Thanks for all the help...

Tao