Re: (#pragma data-seg) equivalent in Linux ...

>       Right now Iam trying to port a windows
> application onto Linux.But Iam struck with the
> following implementation of windows specific
> directives.How can I port this shared memory section
> onto Linux ? Please help me in this regard...Thanking
> you,
> Ram Kumar.
>
> #pragma data_seg("SharedMem")
> #pragma bss_seg("SharedMem")
>
> char    AppDesc[ MAX_PENCILS ][30];
>
> #pragma data_seg()
> #pragma bss_seg()
> #pragma comment(linker, "/SECTION:SharedMem,rws")

Well, at first glance, I was about to recommend that
this list might not be the best place to address that
question, as crossgcc is primarily concerned with
building, configuring, and using the GNU compiler
collection and binary utilities as a cross-compiler
(i.e. the machine the output program runs on is not
the same as the machine the compiler runs on).

But on second glance, maybe it's not all that
offtopic after all.  What little you've told us so
far seems to be hinting toward a custom linker
script, and this is one of the few places where
GNU ld linker scripts get discussed in detail with
regularity (just because they typically need to be
customized a bit for each cross target, whereas a
native compiler typically has a perfectly usable
linker script right out of the box).

But in order to say more with any confidence, you'd
need to tell us more about this shared memory
segment.  What is it shared with?  How is it
created?  Is it a range of memory-mapped hardware
registers?  Is it an OS-managed segment of normal
memory shared among multiple processes?  Using
what API?  This "SharedMem" area must be mentioned
elsewhere in the code, headers, or build scripts.
What do the other references say about it?

                   Carl Miller
                   chaz@energoncube.net