Makefile best practices for embedded development

We're working on an arm7 project with the gcc toolchain here, and currently our Makefiles are a mess. I've yet to get really going full-bore on this project, and I'd like to do some cleanup before I dive in. I've done a bit of research around the web including http://make.paulandlesley.org/autodep.html, and it looks promising, but there's a catch. What do you do about dependencies for assembly files? Doing gcc -M on my toolchain doesn't catch any includes. Ideally, we won't be using them much, but I'm planning on needing to do some optimized (assembly) fixed-point routines in assembly for our application. What is a good clean makefile solution that minimizes makefile maintenance and is embedded-friendly?

Thanks,
- Bryce Schober

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses by digiposs.com]