Re: JTAG Pod?

At 09:21 PM 9/25/2003 +0200, Toralf Lund wrote:
Our target is an ARM7. I've got an EPI Jeeni, and have used a borrowed BDI2000 on a very limited basis. My impressions: The BDI is more of a pain to set up, but seems more flexible and configurable after you climb the curve. Both work great with gdb, and you can't complain about the ethernet download speeds. At ~$1500 for the Jeeni vs. ~$2400 for the BDI2000, the Jeeni seems like the better deal if you are targeting ARM.
I was actually under the impression that the Jeeni would be just as expensive as the BDI2000, but perhaps I was thinking about the Majic?

Yup, the Majic is comparable in price to the BDI. And the Majic is where EPI's development (and sales) efforts are focused these days. I think the main feature that Majic boasts over Jeeni is support of multiple cpu cores and better support for the newer cores.

What exactly is involved in setting up the [Jeeni] unit, and how do you operate it? (Again, I do like the idea of not having to run any software besides GDB in order to talk to the hardware.)

Well, there is a configuration utility (runs in DOS/Windows only; at least the BDI came with sources to build their config utility on Linux) that configures the Jeeni with IP address, ARM cpu target and a few other parameters. You configure through the serial port, then use the Ethernet for the debug.

The think I liked about Jeeni is that you only have to do the configuration once. The BDI wants its to get its configuration (via TFT) after every single boot. That's either a feature or a bug, depending on how you look at it.

To use, just fire up your trusty cross build of gdb (I use arm-elf-gdb) and connect to the Jeeni with the command:

target rdi e=<jeeni hostname or ip address>

And away you go.

With best regards,

MKE