Re: arm-elf-as dependency generation

Doug Evans wrote:

I'm curious why you've decided to not try using the newer gcc
dependency generation features (as outlined in a previous message
of mine).

Now I understand why I'm not using them. They don't trace dependencies on .i files. Maybe I can somehow fix the output of the assembler's dependency generation, which at least includes all the dependencies, it just has some extra crap in it:

$ cat test.S .include "include1.i"

$ cat include1.i
.include "include2.i"
.equ    stuff1, 1

$ cat include2.i
.equ    stuff2,2

$ arm-elf-gcc -g -c -I ../../include -MMD -MF dep/test.cc.d -Wa,-MD,dep/test.as.d -o obj/test.o test.S

$ cat dep/test.cc.d
obj/test.o: test.S

$ cat dep/test.as.d
obj/test.o: include2.i include1.i <command\ line> <built-in> test.S \
 /cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/bks/LOCALS~1/Temp/ccacR8ae.s

Not surprisingly, make bombs when it includes this dependency file the next time. Also, when I pass the dependency-generation flags to the pp instead of using them as top-level options, it changes the target:

$ arm-elf-gcc -g -c -I ../../include -Wp,-MMD,-MF,dep/test.cc.d -o obj/test.o test.S

$ cat dep/test.cc.d
test.o: test.S

Any ideas, guys? It seems to me like both of my options are broken!

-- Bryce Schober Design Engineer Dynon Avionics, Inc. www.dynonavionics.com

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses by digiposs.com]