crosstool success (mipsel-unknown-linux-gnu/gcc-3.3.1/glibc-2.3.2)

Hi Dan,

Sorry it took me so long to report this, but I've been quite busy lately.

I used crosstool-0.24 to make a
mipsel-unknown-linux-gnu/gcc-3.3.1/glibc-2.3.2 on my Athon-1.3GHz host,
targetting my playstation2.

Using the generated compiler, I compiled a hello-world test (which uses
printf):

# mipsel-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc -o test main.c

Which generates a little endian MIPS-I executable. I transferred this file
to my PS2 and it ran fine there.

My PS2 is currently running the vanilla linuxkit that sony sells seperatly.
(gcc-2.95.2/linux-2.2.1/glibc-???-old)

To me it was a suprise that a c-file compiled with gcc-3.3.1/glibc-2.3.2
runs fine on a linux-2.2.1 box with older libs. (I'm not very fluent in
linux OS internals concerning libs etc. )

If I compile with the '-static' option, my target responds with 'kernel too
old'.
(which sounds like a more logical response than displaying 'hello world!'
:-)

Next up is compiling some more advanced stuff, esp with -mips3 (and other
commandline flags) to test 64bit code generation.
Then I'll try to make a chroot jail with the linux-2.4.3 kernel it compiled
and play around in that. If I feel brave enough, I'll port some of the
typical PS2 hardware drivers over to the 2.4 kernel and see if I can get
anywhere.

I'll try running some gcc-testsuites tonight. (or did your script do this
automaticly? I didn't stick around to stare at my screen during the build
... :) )

Do you have any other requests that I can test out with my MIPS board?

Best regards,
Jan