newbie questions remain regarding crosstool with an arm920t target (arm_920TDI)

Hi;

  Thanks for all the help already, it's been great :-)

  I'm still puzzled about some things.

  I am using crosstool's (crosstool-0.24) demo.sh with a new line:

# Arm920t (added by Ken Wolcott)
eval `cat arm920t.dat` `cat gcc3.2.3-glibc2.3.2.dat`  sh all.sh --notest

  results of "diff arm9tdmi.dat arm920.dat":
,4c2,4
< TARGET=arm-9dtmi-linux-gnu
< GCC_EXTRA_CONFIG="--with-cpu=arm9tdmi --enable-cxx-flags=-mcpu=arm9tdmi"
< TARGET_CFLAGS="-O"
---
> TARGET=arm-920t-linux-gnu
> GCC_EXTRA_CONFIG="--with-cpu=920t --enable-cxx-flags=-mcpu=920t"
> TARGET_CFLAGS="-O"
\ No newline at end of file

Excerpt of results from running demo.sh:
Unknown cpu used with --with-cpu=920t
Configure in
/tuba_local/crosstool/crosstool-0.24/build/arm-920t-linux-gnu/gcc-3.2.3-glibc-2.3.2/build-gcc-
core/gcc failed, exiting.

  So, what did I forget to do?  Should a new gcc*-glibc*.dat file be created?

  Looking at Karim Yaghmour's Building Embedded Linux Systems book, it looks
like we need to go back to gcc 2.95.3 as a base.

  I'm confused still about how are target architectures/machines
differentiated/specified.  What/where is the difference between arm and alpha
(for example) other than in alpha.dat and arm.dat (alpha-unknown-linux-gnu vs
arm-unknown-linux-gnu)?  How do differentiate between arm-9dtmi-linux-gnu
(which apparently works) and arm-920t-linux-gnu (which does not work)?  I
don't think providing an arm-unknown-linux-gnu toolchain will suffice, don't
I need to specify the target architecture more precisely?

  second question: I had asked earlier about statically linking gcc.  I think
I may have misunderstood the problem I need to solve.  I see now a
distinction in concept between a gcc cross compiler toolchain which itself is
statically linked and the target executeables that a gcc cross compiler
toolchain generates which may or may not be statically linked.  Talking with
one developer I'm supporting seems to possibly support the need to have both
the toolchain and the targets statically linked.  So there's still some
unresolved ambiguity both here (the requirements) and in concept (how does
one do this?)

  third question: it seems as though I am still subscribed to the crossgcc
mailing list in digest mode, I've tried unsubscribing and resubscribing, but
it looks like I'm still in digest mode.

Thanks,
Ken Wolcott