Insight as cross-debugger: How to handle tcl?

This is really a question for the insight mailing list

     insight@sources.redhat.com

However - I'll point out a few things - We use INSIGHT here all the
time - it's great - works on both Linux and Cygwin transparently - it
also works well with our www.epitools.com majic boxes.

>>> I'd rather not install this TCL setup, at least not on the default
    location,

We have the same problem here.

>> probably lead to conflicts with the other tcl packages on my system
   and/or between cross-debuggers for different targets.

We run about 4 different versions of insight - (we have some custom
cpus we developed in house)

>>    1. Can I tell insight (at build time) to use my standard TCL
      installation?

You don't really want to do that. It's very problematic. Nasty problems.

>> 2. If not, can I configure the package to install the supplied TCL
   setup on an unique location where only the corresponding insight
   build will see it?

Use the source luke.

You *CANNOT* do this with a binary distribution - because TCL Compiles
in hard coded paths inside various executables... grrr and double
grrr...

Don't blame TCL - GCC does this too - with it's specs file, grr,
and double grr...

However - with a source distribution, this is exactly what the
--prefix and --exec-prefix is used for.  non-standard path. Same is
true of all the other gnu tools including GCC and BINUTILS.

ie:
    tar xfz insight-VERSION.tar.gz

    cd insight-VERSION

    ./configure --prefix=/home/duane/tools \
		--exec-prefix=/home/duane/tools/${ARCH} \
		--target=arm-elf
    make

    make install

The --exec-prefix is optional. At our place it is required, we have
multiple hosts (Sun and x86) that share a common directory structure.
The ARCH keeps them seperate, it's basically ARCH=`uname -m`

The CYGWIN build is a bit tougher - you have to follow the steps on
the cygwin specific insight page

    http://sources.redhat.com/insight/cygwin.html

-Duane.