Re: update: building arm9 cross using crosstool

"Wolcott, Ken (MED, Compuware)" <Ken.Wolcott@med.ge.com> wrote:

>   It looks like I need to understand the internals of gcc.  Where is a good
> resource (URL) where I can obtain information about the internals of gcc
> rather than the usage of gcc?

 Building the GCC documents is just as important as building the GCC
binaries. So you have the GCC sources and you can build the docs as
PDF-manuals for browsing and printing, as HTML-pages, or in any other
format the GNU texinfo sources allows... Even Windoze '.hlp' format is
fully possible.

 The "GCC Internals" manual name would hint these things being there,
but the 'specs' file is handled in "Using" and the install issues like those
config things in "Install"... With gcc-2.9 things were easy, the "Using and
Porting" handled them all...

 I would expect the Dan's scripts to do all the essential documents building
and producing nice PDF-manuals for the Acrobat Reader :-)  Or, maybe MS
has an influence into this : when DOS 3.3 still had the big DOS and Basic
books, Win2k Professional has only a very thin (100 pages) "Getting Started".

 At least RedHat has been influenced -- none of those "Install CDs" ever has
had the RedHat Linux PDF-docs downloadable via their www-site, but they
always have all kind of totally unnecessary stuff like those SRPMS... And of
course no GNU docs in any sane format... Maybe in the 'info' format but who
has used 'info' since the early 90's ?  It seems to be a common understanding
that "real programmers never read any manuals", but "knowing much and not
so sure, is always better than knowing little but very sure" is my opinion...
So consulting the manuals is not a shame for me.

 If we look at the crossgcc archives, we will find very few reported problems
in converting the 'gcc/doc' texinfo sources into browsable/printable manuals,
so this task must be very easy... Maybe I'm the only one ever having any
problems here, but this far I have succeeded to fix the problems myself. For
instance the 'pdftex' and 'pdflatex' tools in my RH 7.x don't fully understand
all the new texinfo features used in the document sources...  Ok, those PDF
manuals are my favourite with all their bookmarks, cross-references and
indeces...

Cheers, Kai