Re: crosstool: Optimal component version matching betwen gcc, glibc, binutils, etc?

Wolcott, Ken (MED, Compuware) wrote:
  I've been trying to understand how crosstool determines optimal
version matching between glibc, gcc, binutils, etc...

How does one determine this?

  The developer whom I am primarily supporting tells me that there are
gcc 3.3 issues and he wants me to develop a crosstool generated cross
toolchain based on gcc 3.2.1...I guessed that I would go down a bit on
glibc but stick with the most current binutils.  Does one determine this
optimal component version matching via trial and error only?

There may be people well-informed enough to know from first principles which version goes best with what, but I'm not one of them, so I fly by trial-and-error (and the occasional oracular utterance by somebody better informed than me).

Basically, I use whatever seems simplest until I run into a failure,
then I update or look for patches.  The gcc and glibc regression tests
are quite helpful in deciding whether you've got everything right.

Also, while I agree you should build up the version your developer
wants, you should also try to isolate the exact problem he's having,
and if it's not already in gcc's bugzilla, enter it in.  We *need*
bug reports (with reproducible testcases) from developers in the field
so the next release of gcc has a fighting chance of working well
for everyone, and with crosstool, you have most of the machinery
needed to easily build and run testcases and even verify bugfixes
in the toolchain.  Also, if you run into a patch that solves a problem
for you, let me know, maybe I should add it to crosstool.

  BTW, I am **quite** grateful for the existence of crosstool, and the
developer (and his manager, and my manager) are impressed by it <g>

Thanks! It seems to have met a real need. I hope that in the future plain old gcc and glibc will be easy enough (and bugfree enough) to build without patch repositories and helper scripts, but until that day, crosstool will save people a lot of hassle. - Dan

--
Dan Kegel
http://www.kegel.com