arm-coff build: How does default newlib work?

I'm trying to set up for arm-coff (no OS), now... I've succesfully build the compiler and libs, and compiled some code, but I'm unsure how to write the lowlevel software. In particular, I notice two important differences from my m68k setup:

  1. *All* symbols are included in the default libc, while I have to
     provide my own read(), write(), pbreak() etc. on the m68k.
  2. The linker script do not provide __stack or _hardware_init_hook

Does anyone know what exactly the default character I/O and memory handler routines do, and what assumptions are made about the hardware etc.? Also, how is the memory and other hardware initialised?

- Toralf