Re: Cross-compilers _without_ copying all of include & lib

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 07:12:53PM -0500, Paul Smith wrote:
> However, not only will I have this target filesystem available during
> the creation of the cross-compiler itself but it is always available to
> me when I cross-compile my code, and I want all my cross-compiled code
> to use those includes and libraries, not what is in my cross-compiler
> install.
>
> Whenever I build the cross-compiler using --with-headers/--with-libs,
> as described in the manual etc., it copies the entire contents of the
> target filesystem include directory, and at least some of the system
> libraries, into the cross-compiler directory.
>
> For example if I'm building with --prefix=/usr/local, then I get a
> complete copy of the system headers and libraries in:
>
>     /usr/local/powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu/include
>     /usr/local/powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu/lib
>
> I want to avoid this!

AFAIK that's the normal behaviour for gcc -- in most
"normal" cases, files on the target are not easy to get to
from the build machine.

Are you trying to do this to save space? Your hard disk
space must be at a premium :-)  In that case, I'd suggest
trying to simply remove include/ and lib/ and replace them
with symlinks to the target's files.

> Can I just delete those directories?

Probably not.

/Y