Re: Cross-compilers _without_ copying all of include & lib

Kai Ruottu wrote:
 By opinion is that the extra libraries, libiberty, libstdc++, libffi,... whatever there
are, belong to the specific target/GCC-version, not only to the specific target!
So putting them into the '$prefix/$target/lib' and maybe overwriting the previous
GCC install stuff there,  is seriously wrong.  But maybe I'm the only one with
several GCC versions for a target (huh, I must be an alien from Mars)...  So I
put this stuff into the '$prefix/lib/gcc-lib/$target/$gcc-version' with my install-
scripts, not into '$prefix/$target/lib' where I think the 'make install' putting them.

Hi Kai, we were just talking over at ptxdist about which way to go with libstdc++. The default is $target/lib, but I think if you give the --enable-version-specific-runtime-libs option (as ptxdist does) when compiling gcc, it puts libstdc++ in $prefix/lib/gcc-lib/$target/$gcc-version the way you want them.

So is the benefit of what you propose simply that
apps on the target that were compiled with various versions
of gcc can coexist?  That sounds like a pretty important benefit
for a system that is used by more than one person or is used
for a long time.  Thanks for pointing that out.  I'm
probably going to keep smashing libstdc++ straight into /lib
for the moment, but it's really good to know that this is dangerous.
- Dan