Re: Cross-compilers _without_ copying all of include & lib

%% Dara Hazeghi <dhazeghi@yahoo.com> writes:

  >> But there is no way in hell I will ever be able to use an
  >> unpublished compiler to build the product.  Even after 3.3.3 is
  >> released it will take some time before we can switch to using it.
  >> I need a shorter-term solution.

  dh> That's of course your choice.

Not really :).  I don't have any choice.

  dh> That said, 3.3 branch commit traffic is light, and limited almost
  dh> exclusively to bugfix patches, so in all likelihood, current 3.3
  dh> branch is in better shape than 3.3.2 was.

Nevertheless, no one is going to let me build a carrier-grade product
with a compiler that hasn't even been released yet.

  >> So far my best bet seems to be to punt --with-headers and
  >> --with-lib, then set appropriate variables on the "make" command
  >> line to get it to do what I want.

  dh> Why not let it copy it over (as it wants) during the installation,
  dh> then just delete the directories and replace them with symlinks
  dh> after gcc installs?

Well, it's not so easy because the compiler itself installs some things
in these directories, so I have to know what's legitimate and what
isn't.

However, I did get this working by using symlinks, as I think I posted
to another thread earlier today.

Actually it was working during my test scenario but now I've got minor
problems again when I try to integrate it into my real environment.  I
think they're solveable though.

  dh> Assuming you don't plan on rebuilding gcc regularly,
  dh> it'd be a one time pain.

I encoded it into a makefile so it's a one-time pain no matter how many
times I do it :)

Thanks...