(Fwd) RE: ELF_DYNAMIC_INTERPRETER

Sorry for the HTML-rubbish... My Pegasos Mail update broke the old 'plain
text' settings, aargh...

From:           	Kai Ruottu <karuottu@mbnet.fi>
To:             	"Manoj Verma, Noida" <manojv@noida.hcltech.com>
Subject:        	RE: ELF_DYNAMIC_INTERPRETER
Copies to:      	crossgcc@sources.redhat.com
Send reply to:  	kai_ruottu@mbnet.fi
Date sent:      	Sun, 23 Nov 2003 22:44:19 +0200

"Manoj Verma, Noida" <manojv@noida.hcltech.com> wrote:

> strings - myout | grep ld-linux " gives
>
> /c/MinGW/msys/home/lib/ld-linux.so.2
> ld-linux.so.2
>
> > > If I give something like:
> > > $ arm-linux-ld test.o -dynamic-linker=/lib/ld-linux.so.2 -o myout
> > > and I do:
> > > $arm-linux-readelf -l myout
> > > i see:
> > >       [Requesting program interpreter:
> > /c/MinGW/msys/home/lib/ld-linux.so.2]

 If you run the 'ld' command on :

1.   the plain vanilla CMD.EXE etc. from MS

2.   the MSYS command shell

in Windoze, is there any difference?

 When you use 'gcc' to link, it invokes 'ld' via 'spawn()' or something,
please see 'pexecute.c' in 'gcc-3.2.2/libiberty' (or whatever your GCC
sources were, I remember you mentioning 3.2.2). When you use 'ld'
directly, the command shell may interpret the given absolute pathname
in some wacky way, here the '/c/MinGW/msys/home' may be appended
by the MSYS shell... If so, you had better to discuss about this on the
MinGW or MSYS (if it has such) maillist, whether it is a bug or a
feature and if there are any means to disable the interpreting (if there
is such).

 Anyway you can first see how 'arm-linux-gcc' invokes the linker by
using the '-v' option to 'arm-linux-gcc' (and saving the command with
a tee-pipe, '2>logfile' or what the "> logfile 2>&1" equivalent on Windoze
was...) and trying just the same command with just the same options, but
given from the shell command line...

 Ok, my guess is that the MS 'CMD.EXE' handles the command ok
but the MSYS shell appends that extra stuff for some wacky reason.
I will also try a 'ld' command from the CMD.EXE here and will see
what happens... I haven't MSYS because my Windoze should behave
like a Windoze, my choice for a Unix-like system on PC is Linux, not
Windoze/MSYS or Windoze/Cygwin...

Cheers, Kai