Re: More on config.guess.

Paul Smith wrote:
%% Rob Landley <rob@landley.net> writes:

  rl> I mentioned earlier that config.guess seems to originate from
  rl> autoconf.

That's not really true.  Many packages, including autoconf, provide
config.guess, but the master copy is kept in the "config" project in
Savannah (https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/config/), along with
config.sub, etc.

uclibc is in the master copy, too:

http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/config/config/config.sub.diff?r1=1.292&r2=1.293

  rl> (I'm curious why patch, sed, or grep would really care about any
  rl> of this...)

Its hard to know, but a number of autoconf macros rely on the values
generated by config.guess.

Oddly, config.guess doesn't contain the string 'uclibc' or 'uclinux'. Wonder what it outputs when running on a uclibc system...

Here's some discussion from when Bernardo was picking the system name:
which notes that *-uclinux-uclibc is a good tuple which is significantly
different from *-linux-uclibc in that it uses flat ELF files
rather than normal ones.

Does anyone know if any program needs to behave differently for *-linux-uclibc
as opposed to *-linux-gnu (besides gcc)?  I imagine it might
change a couple defaults in the cross-compile case for some autoconf tests,
at least...
- Dan