Re: how to enable thumb-interwork, soft float and little endian in newlib for arm-elf

> I edited the gcc/config/arm/t-arm-elf file.
> While it does activate the multilib generation process,
> it also raises an issue :
> GAS and GCC have different default behaviours, which causes
> objects to have improper flag set.
> I use :
> GNU assembler 031031 20031031
> arm-elf-gcc (GCC) 3.3.2
>
> For example, running arm-elf-gcc with no option generates
> soft floating point code, but as it passes no option
> to the assembler so the object is flagged as using Hardware FP
> and the link against such an object / library fails.
> To overcome this issue, I patched the gcc source to have its
> default generation option match those of gas.
>
> Here is the patch that leads to a full working multilib :

I'm aware of this issue.  Unfortunately it breaks compatibility for anyone
moving from an older compiler -- all their old object files are then
rejected.

I hope we will be able to sort this problem out when we adopt the AEABI.

R.