Re: x86-64 with lib and lib64

Roman Duka wrote:
Dan Kegel wrote:

Roman Duka wrote:

a silly question, for x86-64 targets we get 2 lib dirs, lib and lib64, does that mean that the SAME toolchain could produce 64 bit and 32 bit binaries?? and if yes how, by using compiler switches or something else?

Yes, with a compiler switch, though I haven't tried it myself. Note however that you need to compile the C library once for each architecture.

i'm trying to do it now, i think we need to pass --enable-multilib when configuring cross gcc for x86-64, however it fails with error on gcc-3.3.2, it says something about ld skipping incompatible libraries when linking with -lc etc ??? i've managed to built full x86-64 toolchain, but only with --disable-multilib options. well i'll try a snapshot of gcc-3.4.0, maybe that's different.

for x86_64, I highly recommend gcc-3.3.3 snapshots rather than gcc-3.3.2, since I had no success until I turned on --with-sysroot, which is new to gcc-3.3.3 and gcc-3.4.

I don't use --disable-multilib when building my final gcc with gcc-3.3.3, by
the way, so maybe I already have both versions of the startup files; I
haven't checked.
- Dan