Re: crosstool-0.28-rc16: lots of little improvements, beginningsof canadian cross support

Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
* assume canadian cross if BUILD and HOST are set by caller (untested)

Guess what kind of email I wanted to write to the list this evening:)

"After building a cross-compiler for my target, who do I build a
target-hosted native compiler?"

So you've been even faster in answering than I was in asking. You're my
today's hero!

MfG, JBG (now going to read docu how to actually use canadian cross with
crosstool.sh)

... or maybe write it, as there is no doc on it yet :-) :-( I started to write demo-canadian.sh to demonstrate it, but didn't get very far yet.

I have not yet successfully done a canadian cross, but
rc16 incorporates what I've learned in my recent failed attempts,
namely
  * use the most recent official snapshot of binutils
  * don't put the build products in the path (since they can't run)
  * let user set real value for HOST and some value for BUILD
Not sure if BUILD has to be anything different than the output
of config.guess, but it might be if you're doing back-crosses
where BUILD is similar to TARGET.

Good luck & let me know how it goes, I'll be trying it too.
- Dan

--
My technical stuff: http://kegel.com