Re: Ppc-750 1394 advise

Schartman, Joe wrote:
Im working at Boeing and we have some prototype h/w (ppc-750s) running
VxWorks with addon MindReady 1394 link/stack layer s/w.  Its very
limited for hard drive support, only offers dosFS with Fat16 :(

So Im thinking it would be better to port this application to linux
especially if I can use the 2.6 kernel for the 1394.
Your crosstool maybe very helpful since I would do most of the dev on my
linux PC porting to ppc-750.

How much RAM do you have? Linux has about 8-16 MB more overhead than VxWorks, I bet. How much realtime do you need? Linux can only promise latencies of 5ms usually. If you need better, then you'd have to do something special, like run Adeos or RTLinux, and code the hard real time tasks differently.

Im not sure about the downloading part since we have used VxWorks on
Suns for crossdev and I have not done this type of effort using linux.

Any advice on the best way to start this effort ?

It would be soo nice to get away from VxWorks :)

For downloading, lots of people use u-boot, http://u-boot.sourceforge.net/

For building the system image, you might try http://ptxdist.sf.net,
or if you're not so brave but have lots of money, maybe the commercially supported
http://mvista.com

Good luck!  And feel free to ask questions on the appropriate
mailing list (e.g. crossgcc@sources.redhat.com for crosstool;
ptxdist and u-boot each have their own).   Please don't send
me questions directly.
- Dan

--
My technical stuff: http://kegel.com