cant get autoconf/automake to crosscompile

FAQ seems to be down.. My excuse if the question is ansered there...

I'm trying to use autoconf/automake to make a configure who will do cross compile.

My system is RedHat7.2, and I'm using a toolchain from Arcom for the Viper ARM devel kit.

I cant get my ./configure to use the arm-linux-gcc (and so on), it keeps using the gcc whatever I try to do.

It seems like a simple problem, but beeing a linux newbie nothing in linus is 'simple' :-)
Any tips ideas of what I'm doing wrong?

An example:
configure.in
dnl Process this file with autoconf to produce a confgure script.
AC_INIT(test.c)
AC_CANONICAL_SYSTEM
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(test, 1.0)
AC_PROG_CC
AC_OUTPUT(Makefile)

Makefile.am
bin_PROGRAMS = test
test_SOURCES = test.c

Then I do the aclocal / autoconf / automake
and try ./configure:
[robertst@Nena test_plain_c_auto]$ CC=arm-linux-gcc AR=arm-linux-ar RANLIB=arm-linux-ranlib ./configure --build `./config.guess` --host arm-linux
checking host system type... arm-unknown-linux-gnu
checking target system type... arm-unknown-linux-gnu
checking for a BSD compatible install... (cached) /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... (cached) yes
checking for working aclocal... found
checking for working autoconf... found
checking for working automake... found
checking for working autoheader... found
checking for working makeinfo... found
checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc ) works... yes
checking whether the C compiler (gcc ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C... (cached) yes
creating ./config.status
creating Makefile