From: Jay.Kulpinski@gd-ais.com [mailto:Jay.Kulpinski@gd-ais.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2004 11:55 AM
To: Jon Watson
Cc: crossgcc@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: Help w/ gcc cross build failing

On Thursday 26 August 2004 11:31 am, Jon Watson wrote:
> If I run make without specifying a target I get the same error. The only
> difference I see is that now make reports failing a different chain of
> targets: [genmodes.o], [stage2_build], then [quickstrap], then [all-gcc].
> See below for full output...

What did you use for the "configure" command parameters before
running make?  Did you supply the "--target=powerpc-eabi" option?

If you properly configure, you don't need any explicit target on
the make command line.  You will need to limit the build to just
the C compiler until newlib is built.  If you use a full gcc tar
file, i.e. gcc-3.4.1.tar.bz2 rather than gcc-core-3.4.1.tar.bz2,
you would want to add LANGUAGES="c" to your make command.

Once that completes, do a "make install" and build newlib.  Then
you can go back and rebuild gcc with C++ support if you need that.

> The only reason I tried the bootstrap target is that a guy here who built
> GCC 2.9x on his Sun workstation for SunOS x years ago told me to try it
> that way... :)

Right - you need that for a native compiler build.