Re: crosstool OS X -> x86 woes

Nathaniel Gray wrote:
I'm trying to build a compiler I can run on my OS X machine that builds Linux-x86 binaries. I don't care which version of gcc, glibc, etc. I end up with, I just want anything that works.

I've tried the following targets from demo-i686.sh:
    i686.dat gcc-3.4.1-glibc-2.3.3.dat
    i686.dat gcc-2.95.3-glibc-2.2.2.dat

Which version of crosstool? 0.28-rc35 is the latest, and you probably shouldn't use anything older.

And I hit the following problems:

1. wget just doesn't work for ftp on my machine. I don't know why not. curl works.

Did you read http://www.kegel.com/crosstool/crosstool-0.28-rc35/doc/crosstool-howto.html#mac ?

Where did you get your wget? The one from fink seemed to work for me.

2. The configure scripts just don't work well. For example, they try to test for the version of "as" by running "as --version", which a) doesn't work and b) blocks waiting for input. Ditto for sed. Worse, there seems to be no way to get OS X sed to print its version!

Now I know you didn't read http://www.kegel.com/crosstool/crosstool-0.28-rc35/doc/crosstool-howto.html#mac as it tells you explicitly you need gnu sed.

3. Having fixed the above problems I got an error "GLIBC must be built with GNU CC". This despite the fact that the compiler in question was the gcc compiler I just built!

If updating to the latest crosstool and installing the recommended gnu tools doesn't fix this for you, we'll deal with this last problem.

At this point I gave up. Has anybody had success building such a cross-compiler?

Yes, but I haven't tried lately. - Dan

--
My technical stuff: http://kegel.com