Re: Cross-compiling toolchain default location choice

ncrfgs wrote:
On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 08:27:59AM -0700, Dan Kegel wrote:

Did you also look at http://kegel.com/crosstool?  Ryan is contributing
improvements to those, too.  (He wanted NPTL support, and sent in a patch.
I'll try to add that in the next release.)

Yes, but I faced some problems when trying to use a custom versions combo (I'm using a pretty exotic one at the moment)

Can you tell me more?

and I needed nptl

Fair enough, that's not in crosstool yet, but I'll add it in 0.29.

I like putting it in /opt/cross/$target/bin/$target-gcc.

Is there a way to make it to coexist with the "regular" toolchain in /usr?

Maybe, but it's a lot safer to put it somewhere else.

I think the 2nd gcc can completely replace the 1st.

Do you think is possible to safely mix libgcc_eh.a and libgcc_s.so* from the second gcc with the files from the first one?

I don't know. I would suggest just using the files installed by the 2nd one and ignoring all the files from the 1st.

But I'm not sure why you care. The full toolchain - gcc and glibc and binutils -
should be a single package built all at once. You should not try to
mix and match, it's too painful. Crosstool makes a single RPM for all components of the toolchain.

I'm trying to do so because CRUX generally tries to make different packages for each single components.

Yeah, but that doesn't make sense for cross-compiler toolchains, I've come to believe. You'll be much happier if you make the whole toolchain a package.

I'm afraid my questions will sound a little bit stupid but I'm new to
the cross compiling world.

The learning curve is indeed a bit steep. - Dan