Re: question crosstool-0.28-rc36 for PPC 860

Alexander Povolotsky wrote:
I cross-compiled (using cygwin on my Windows XP/Intel laptop) the gcc 3.4.1 compiler for PPC 860 using crosstool-0.28-rc36.
Could I expect the resulted/built gcc 3.4.1 compiler to run/function ‘natively’ on the PQ2FADS-VR board (with MPC 8275), running Linux
2.6.8-rc4

Not generally.

I am slightly confused now.
In my case the "host" and "target" machine is the same - let say it is PPC 860 (though it is really PQ2FADS-VR board with MPC 8275 - not sure but do hope they are compatible enough) - so if I tar the:

/opt/crosstool/powerpc-860-linux-gnu/gcc-3.4.1-glibc-2.3.2/powerpc-860-linux-gnu

directory, produced by crosstool in my Intel/Windows XP cygwin

and ftp it to the root file system, mounted by my board during its booting, - should I not expect to be able to run this compiler, which will produce executables runnable on this very board itself ?

If you build a compiler the normal way on cygwin, then it will run on cygwin, and nowhere else, regardless of what target it generates code for.

To get a compiler that will run on the target, you have to
compile it with the compiler you built earlier.  This is
sometimes called a Canadian Cross build.  This is documented somewhat at
http://kegel.com/crosstool/crosstool-0.28-rc36/doc/crosstool-howto.html#canadian

- Dan