no-altivec assembler option

Hi,
I am trying to cross compile an application for a ppc750 using a tool chain
that uses gcc 3.3.3, glibc 2.3.2 and bin utils 2.15. Passing "-Wa,
-maltivec" to the compiler works and the application compiles but passing
"-Wa,-mno-altivec" doesnt.  I get a assembler error "invalid switch,
-mno-altivec". My target hardware doesnt have a altivec unit though. Can
anyone tell me why the assembler will accept one option but not the other ?
Not specifying any assembler option results in errors "invalid opcode stvx,
mtvrsave, mfvrsave etc".

Thanks,
Rohan