More Static Linking woes

Goal:
1. Build a statically linked cross compiler
2. Build dynamically linked target binaries

Problem:
The build procedure outlined on this mailing list does produce statically linked executables. We have successfully used the cross compiler on several different Linux installations. When we tried to create the target file system, we found that shared libraries such as libstdc++.so* was missing. This is created if LDFLAGS=-static is not specified.

Perhaps there needs to be a separate link process for just the cross development tools. I have seen something like this on "Linux from Scratch". (although it was for binutils, not glibc)

Thoughts? Ideas?