crosstool: target names + filename prefixes

Hi folks,

I'm currently doing some experiments w/ the latest crosstool.
The build seems to be fine, but now some questions about best
practise for production system installation ...

a) I'm doing no real crosscompile, instead using it for cleanroom
   (jail) builds via sysroot.

   Should I somehow fake the platform identifier to be able to
   pass it via --host=xxx to applications ?

b) I'd like to have short binary names (w/o platform), when
   passing the commands to the builders. How can I specify this ?

thx
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT service

  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact@metux.de
  cellphone: +49 174 7066481