Re: crosstool: target names + filename prefixes

Enrico Weigelt wrote:
I'm currently doing some experiments w/ the latest crosstool.
The build seems to be fine, but now some questions about best practise for production system installation ...

a) I'm doing no real crosscompile, instead using it for cleanroom
(jail) builds via sysroot. Should I somehow fake the platform identifier to be able to
pass it via --host=xxx to applications ?

No need to fake it. Run config.guess to see what it is.

However, if you're going to the trouble of using a jail,
and you're not cross-compiling, you don't need to pass
--host, --build, or --target when configuring apps, I think.

b) I'd like to have short binary names (w/o platform), when passing the commands to the builders. How can I specify this ?

You should create symlinks yourself after building crosstool.

One other thing: you might want to edit the spec file of the
resulting toolchain so it doesn't think it's a cross-compiler.
See http://sources.redhat.com/ml/crossgcc/2004-06/msg00161.html
Otherwise it won't search your jail's /lib and /usr/lib.

- Dan