Re: relocating the compiler and associated tools

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, Jim Tison wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-11-09 at 06:09, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> > i haven't had a chance to test run the executables yet, but in both
> > cases, i got executables as output that "file" told me were SH
> > binaries.  so at least that part worked (the static binary being,
> > naturally, massively larger than the dynamic).

> I meant mv instead of cp. Try it. You probably won't like the fireworks
> display you're liable to get. If you copy, the relocated binaries will
> still have the original files to find and use. What you're doing by
> copying is approximately equivalent to setting symlinks in /usr that
> refer back to your original PREFIX. Dunno 'bout you, but I'd call that
> cheating :-) <no offense>

just as another data point, i *relocated* the entire built SH3
toolchain under /usr/local/sh3 (just for the heck of it), and blew
away the original build.  that toolchain successfully compiled a 2.6.9
kernel tree with some SH3 mods tacked on.

still probably not a definitive answer to this issue, but so far, i
haven't run into roadblocks.

rday