Any Hints tips and tricks for cross-gcc developers?

Hello all,

I can tell you this list took some finding, most of the links and email addresses from the FAQ were not working... I've been lurking here for a bit, but now its time to step forward and ask for some help.

I'm planning on writing a TI C54x back end for gcc, and I'd like to avoid as many of the pitfalls as i can.

I've done all of my research, gathered together all of the materials i need, now I'm going to get properly stuck in.

ok, to a list of questions.
1. Maintaining a patch tree.
To start off with I'll be working against one of the stable gcc trees. There is a sourceforge CVS repository waiting for whatever work i do. My question is, what's the best way to keep my work? should i CVS the whole tree? or should i update and CVS a separate patch directory somewhere?

2. Other tools.
any other recent tools not mentioned in the FAQ that may be handy? like scripts to automate question 1?

3. Pitfalls.
Ok, the FAQ covers some of these, but if anyone has experience with working with Cxxx targets and has any tips that i might find handy.

ta,

Tim.