Re: Any Hints tips and tricks for cross-gcc developers?

Tim O'Callaghan wrote:
I can tell you this list took some finding, most of the links and email addresses from the FAQ were not working...

Yeah. We've tried a couple times to contact the host of the FAQ without success.

I'm planning on writing a TI C54x back end for gcc, and I'd like to avoid as many of the pitfalls as i can.

gcc@gcc.gnu.org is the place to go for help with this, I think; crossgcc is mostly about building (or using) gcc, not about porting it.

1. Maintaining a patch tree.
To start off with I'll be working against one of the stable gcc trees. There is a sourceforge CVS repository waiting for whatever work i do. My question is, what's the best way to keep my work? should i CVS the whole tree? or should i update and CVS a separate patch directory somewhere?

In order to get your resulting port into the main gcc tree (and that should be your goal), you will need in the end to submit a nicely documented series of small patches (except perhaps for one big one that adds files), I think. You should probably ask someone who has successfully submitted a port.

2. Other tools.
any other recent tools not mentioned in the FAQ that may be handy? like scripts to automate question 1?

I hear quilt is a good tool for managing patchsets, but that might be overkill.

3. Pitfalls.
Ok, the FAQ covers some of these, but if anyone has experience with working with Cxxx targets and has any tips that i might find handy.

Nope. You should contact the author of the previous TI Cxxx port(s) and ask him/her/them, probably... - Dan