Re: unprivileged builds + installs

On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 06:19:57AM +0100, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> I'd like to do my automatic builds and installs under an
> unprivileged user. Compiling is ig no problem, but installing is.
>
> How could I solve this ?

It depends on what you want to do. If you have software components which
need to run under a certain user you are lost; for example, if you want
to install proftpd you need your config file to be installed as ftp.ftp,
which isn't possible on the host system if you are not root.

In PTXdist we solve this problem by completely separating the
compilation and testing stage. During compilation all files are being
installed into $TOPDIR/root/ without caring for permissions; all
permission info is collected in a "permissions" file and, on 'make
images', being used to create tar archives with fakeroot. When the
testing stage later installs the archives on the embedded systems they
do the right thing.

Robert
     Hornemannstraße 12,  31137 Hildesheim, Germany
    Phone: +49-5121-28619-0 |  Fax: +49-5121-28619-4