Re: configure: error: CFI directive support in assembler is required

Hi

Oops! Sorry for the earlier empty mail. My mistake.

>Why on earth would you need a native assembler for a cross-compiled
>glibc?  I'm getting the impression that you don't really know what
>you're doing. :)

Ok you got me wrong. Basically I'm following the steps outlined in Karim
Yaghmour's book on building embedded Linux systems. He said that for
building a cross-gcc version 3.2 (and above???), we need to build a
bootstrap glibc prior to building the bootstrap gcc (as
the --without-headers option is broken). It is for THIS that I need an
upgraded native assembler, as my current assembler doesn't have CFI support.
After that is built, I shall build the complete glibc (with the
cross-compiler for the target) and gcc.

Am I correct in my understanding? Or can I directly build the bootstrap gcc
to use to compile glibc for my target, without building the bootstrap glibc?
I'm using glibc-2.3.3 and gcc-3.4.3.

I tried compiling the bootstrap gcc directly, but it gave some errors. So I
tried building the bootstrap glibc first, thinking that this might be the
problem.

>Please consider using crosstool for your toolchain, this will save you
>a LOT of headaches.

Yes I would LOVE to use crosstool. Actually I have just started with my
project. I'm new to Linux and it's only been a few days. So please pardon my
ignorance!

However, I was just reading through the list of targets supported by
crosstool, and MPC8260 (our target) didn't figure in the list. Will we have
to do some heavy porting to configure crosstool to build the toolchain for
our target? Or can we use it with some minor modifications? Has anyone used
crosstool for MPC8260? I'm really sorry I'm asking such basic questions, but
the fact remains, I'M A NEWBIE!!! :-(

Regards

Vijay Padiyar