i386 to x86_64 Issues

Hey all,

First of all please forgive me for bringing a trivial plea for help to you! You've already been a great help, but I would be glad of some pointers for my particular situation and (if you're willing to lend a guiding hand - my confidence is still lacking) I would be more than happy to loan myself and my associated boxes (amd64, i686, mipsEEel - ps2linux) for anything you might require of me!

Let me outline (in brief) what I've come across, and point you in the direction of a more detailed situation explanation here: www.kaear.co.uk/personal/kaear/crosscompile.info

The issue, in brief:

I'm attempting to use crosstool (0.28-rc37) to move my 32bit distro into a 64bit one.

Where I'm at:

Successful crosscompile of 2.6.9 kernel. The 32bit system will boot using the 64bit kernel.

Successful Canadian cross built. Although this cross alone won't actually compile much other than the kernel & modules.

Somewhat dubiously successful native compile of glibC under a 64-bit kernel (make, make install & slack-packaged). Dubious because it doesn't seem to fix the problems listed below.

The problem(s) I've run in to:

In order to package up binutils & GCC, I've got to make them first. *pasted from the long doc listed above*

Binutils and GCC still need to be recompiled and packaged for me to be on the way to a useful 64-bit platform, and needless to say neither of the buggers will; both claiming crt1.o doesn't exist when quite obviously it does.

gcc --print-search-dirs doesn't include lib64, which is where *crt* lives. This indicates to me that the toolchain itself is not set up for a native compile (some reference to *crt* in lib would be nice, I suppose), or for whatever reason gcc & glibc don't agree on how a "native" compile should work.

The £64,000 questions:

* Should I merely be cross compiling the items I want, and simply packaging the results?

* Am I going about this whole thing in totally the wrong way?

* How long before I go insane?

Answers on a postcard to this address!

Any help or advice as to where to go next would be greatly appreciated, thankyou all!

- Piete.