Re: kernel/glibc headers/gcc bootstrap circular dependencies redux

On Monday 11 April 2005 12:00 am, Ryan.Oliver@pha.com.au wrote:
> Mike Frysinger wrote:
> >for example, i simply do:
> >- unpack binutils & configure for -linux target & make install
> >- unpack gcc & configure for -linux target w/out headers & make
> >install
> >-mike
>
> This works with a gcc build if you use --disable-shared and use
> --disable-threads, there should be no need for libc or its headers
> in this situation (only a static libgcc is created, and it wont go
> hunting for pthread headers).

this is how i bootstrap myself up ... the stage1 gcc i build without headers,
threads, or shared ... that allows me to build glibc and then build a full
stage2 gcc (threads,shared,C++,etc...) ...

> This would be fine I suppose for building a linuxthreads glibc with,
> but would be useless if you wanted to build an nptl glibc.

how come ?  ive *compiled* a nptl glibc with this process but i havent tested
it too heavily ...

also, this would be fine for just say a kernel crosscompiler right ?

> Also my experience on mips so far generating gcc in the absence of
> glibc headers is that you cannot use a sys-root, for some reason
> it trips up...

ive been avoiding sys-root so far because it seems to require more things to
be setup ahead of time than just the headers configure option
-mike